/* Add Facebook Life button */

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

 In hope against hope he believed, so that he might become a father of many nations according to that which had been spoken, "SO SHALL YOUR DESCENDANTS BE."  Without becoming weak in faith he contemplated his own body, now as good as dead since he was about a hundred years old, and the deadness of Sarah's womb; yet, with respect to the promise of God, he did not waver in unbelief but grew strong in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to perform. Therefore IT WAS ALSO CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS.” Romans 4:18-22 

I was on my way to lunch and as I approached my car, I read my brand-new license plate frame: “No worries – God’s got it covered!”. I started laughing at myself, thinking of the irony of the statement as I searched my heart that day. I was having one of those days - the devil was on to me, attacking from every front, trying to destroy my testimony, trying to limit my vision to only what I could see at the moment.

Then I read about Abraham and his faith. He did not regard his old body and Sarah’s dead womb. He knew that “God had got it covered”. My license plate frame should be his! Looking at the obstacles ahead of him and his limited resources, he chose to trust God, obey Him and wait on Him. He lived his faith and because of that, he made it possible for each of us who confess Jesus as our Lord and Savior to receive God’s righteousness as our inheritance:

Romans 4:11: “He received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while uncircumcised, so that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be credited to them”.

I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful it is to read that today! Mainly because I know Abraham’s story - his life was marked by mistakes, sins and failures, as much as with wisdom and goodness. But because of his faith ALONE, he inherited his promise and was found righteous before God. Not because of his works, his good days or bad days, but because of his solemn trust in God and His Word. That completely changes the paradigm of righteousness - my righteousness is not based on how I behave, on the bad days I have, but based on the faith that I placed in Jesus as my Savior and Lord, wherefore I inherited God’s righteousness and His promises.

On days like this, I cling to the thought that my not-so-perfect heart attitude can never move God’s love and acceptance. I cling to the promise Abraham received and that I inherited in Christ Jesus: the promise that, no matter what happens, God’s plan will be fulfilled in my life. All I have to do is trust and obey. One step at a time. In the meantime, I’m being conformed to His image, as He works on the rough edges, teaches me to love unconditionally, forgive always.

On days like this, I remember that worry and fret are simply a waste of time, because God’s plan for me has not changed. Sometimes I cannot see where He is leading me, but I know His plan is perfect and will unfold in His perfect time. Abraham saw his body get older, Sarah’s menopause come, and kept on believing. He kept his eyes on his (unseen) promise.  

 “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” Hebrews 11:1

What is the prize that lies before you? Where is your Promise Land?

I challenge you to cling to His promise, asking God to teach you how to accept the trials that test your faith and learn to praise God in spite of your circumstances, all the way to your Promised Land!

 As for me, I'm going back to my car and face my cool license plate frame. When I look at it this time, it's not going to be a joke anymore. It's my heart's song: "No worries, God's got it covered!".    

Lord, thank you for the awesome inheritance of righteousness and the promises that I received by faith when I accepted Jesus as my Savior. Help me to look past my current circumstances, into the promises that You give me in Your Word. Help me to see that the tests and trials I am going through are tools that you use to strengthen my faith. Help me remember that “You are not a man, that You should lie, nor a son of man, that you should feel repentance for what You have promised (Numbers 23:19 – Amplified). I choose to trust you today that you will fulfill each one of your promises to me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment